virtual memory vs physical memory
Forum
  1. Forums
  2. CloudLinux and Control Panels
  3. CloudLinux and cPanel
  1. faizal karim
  2. Thursday, 02 May 2013
  3.  Subscribe via email
i believe cloudlinux allow us to specify how many virtual memory and physical memory can be assign to one account.  my question is, can i set virtual memory to unlimited which i can set as 0 in the ve.cfg and physical memory to 2 or 3 GB? if this can be done.

1. what will happened if the pysical memory has been fully utilize?
2. will the unlimited virtual memory i set just now will affect actual physical memory which i install on the server?
3. is there any specific calculation that i can use to calculate the maximum concurrent connection that my server can handle.

please advise.
Rate this post:
  1. 03.05.2013 15:05:29
  2. # 1
Igor Seletskiy Accepted Answer
Votes
Undo
You can set virtual memory limit to 0, and use only physical limit.

1. When all the physical memory gets utilized for a user, same thing happens as if all the physical memory would be utilized for the system: First disk caches for that user will be purged, after that OOM would kill processes for that user -- to make sure there are some available memory
2. Virtual memory limits will not affect physical memory limits.
3. Not that I know, but it cannot be more then MaxClients set for apache server.
  1. 04.05.2013 00:05:03
  2. # 2
faizal karim Accepted Answer
Votes
Undo
hi igor,

thanks for your prompt reply. btw, i would like to get some recomendation from you. if i have PHP and mysql running inside the server. can i run apache MPM worker? cause from my understanding prefork is using a lot of memory. and i scare that i will loose a lot of memory if my server have more than 1000 concurent connections.

Please advise.
  1. 04.05.2013 03:05:23
  2. # 3
Igor Seletskiy Accepted Answer
Votes
Undo
You can run Apache MPM Worker, as long as you don\'t use mod_php
Apache MPM Worker is fully compatible with mod_fcgid & mod_suphp.
MySQL will not interfere with apache in anyway
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!
Submit Your Response
Upload files or images for this discussion by clicking on the upload button below. Supports gif,jpg,png,zip,rar,pdf
• Insert • Remove Upload Files (Maximum File Size: 2 MB)
Captcha
To protect the site from bots and unauthorized scripts, we require that you enter the captcha codes below before posting your question.